Today a record of 19 countries declared to be against the Pioneer 1507 GM maize! Only 5 were in favour, and the rest abstained. Nevertheless Commissioner Borg said the Commission is bound to authorise the maize since even these 19 countries did not represent the qualified majority needed. To be continued!
This would be the first GM maize to be allowed for growing on the field in Europe since 1998. Back then in 1998, it was Monsanto's infamous Bt-maize (MON810), producing its own insecticides. This time it is also a Bt-maize, made by Pioneer, but one that has in addition been made tolerant to a powerful weedkiller (glufosinate-based, like Liberty). This weedkiller is classified as highly toxic by the EU.
There are many problems with this GM maize. Since it produces its own insecticides, it could pose risks to butterflies and moths and there has been no research on its impacts to other beneficial insects such as bees and other pollinators. Contrary to EU rules, the required safety assessment linked to the use of the weedkiller has not been done. For more information about Pioneer's maize 1507 read Friends of the Earth Europe's backgrounder here.
We are calling on you to take action now to stop Pioneer's GM maize! Below you will find a list of key countries you can write to. These are countries whose opinion matters most in the outcome.
Please select below to which country's minister(s) you would like to write, and fill in the form.
Please share this action with your friends by email, on your website, or via social media. Thank you for taking action!
- Write to the Danish government
- Write to the Belgian government (nederlands)
- Write to the Belgian government (français)
- Write to the Bulgarian government
- Write to the Maltese government
- Write to the Italian government
- Write to the Dutch government
- Write to the Croatian government
- Write to the Swedish government
- Write to the Polish government
- Write to the German government
- Write to the Portuguese government